Old 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

Science has and continues to study spirituality. Parts of the brain have been identified that are active during prayer/meditation. Evolution has apparently selected for people to have both a drive for logic/science and a drive for spiritual/religious experience. It's IN us. Another tool in the bag for survival.

The way I look at it, if evolution handed to me a brain function that I can activate and develop that will allow me to overcome addiction and have a better life experience, I am not going to argue logically why I should NOT use it.

I don't happen to believe in a supernatural deity, but I have first hand experienced the benefits of developing spiritual aspects of my life...with an understanding that like any other thing I do, it's a function of my brain.

Some people seem unable to have both science/logic and faith/spiritual active in their mind at once. There is a constant battle there and for them one must be abandoned so the other can rule. But most people, happily, are able to hold and live by all manner of opposing ideas at the same time, pulling out whichever best suits the situation at hand. This very dichotomy has proven useful in our success as a species. It too is a gift of evolution.

It's why a 2 yr old child can see a chihuahua, a collie, and 7 totally different versions of cartoon dogs (some that walk upright and wear clothing) and all on it's own recognize them as dogs. Our minds are remarkably flexible and creative and integrative.

Photography, scientific illustration, very important ways of getting down the facts of structure, appearance...don't nullify the worthiness of all other manner of art, nor vice versa. The world is richer for both. Both speak to and advance humanity. Neither, to my knowledge, feels the need to stamp out the other, or make the other cry uncle. We see that they both have their place. I wonder if at some point people will likewise be able to see that science and spirituality have their role, and their role is to enhance humanity in the manner they do best, rather than to try to stomp the other out.

It is important to note that AA is a spiritual, not a religious program, because spirituality is the use of that particular brain function...not an adherence to a particular belief, but an activation and development of a function of our brain, that give us another angle from which to understand life.