Old 06-17-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
FeenixxRising

Originally Posted by Adillac View Post
AA is a cult more or less. It was founded by low-bottom drunks for low-bottom drunks, primarily. If you read the first 164 pages of the AA book (the actual program) you would find out that Bill Wilson and Dr.Bob believed that the alcoholic drinks more or less for the effect. "Bad" character is only addressed as a means of staying happily sober. The idea is that alcoholics are overly sensitive people and cannot afford to be as selfish and dishonest AND stay happily sober. I am by no means an AA success story, but then AA admits that the true alcoholic is more or less hopeless until a spiritual awakening occurs. I don't like it, but I've tried everything else.
I have my issues with AA and the 12-steps. However, I would be hesitant to suggest it's a cult or even cult-like. Rather, it's a spiritual believe system that relies on a spiritual power to help stop alcoholics from drinking. And IMO, it borders on being a Christian-lite, type sect (the saying of the New Testament, Lord's Prayer; the many references to what is clearly an anthropomorphic, male Judeo-Christian God, etc. are proof enough of this).

But IMO the process of working the steps appears to work purely for psychological, scientific reasons, and not because of the intervention or help of a mystical "higher power". It's really nothing mysterious IMO. Somehow, the creators of AA tapped into a process that helps heal the psychic of an alcoholic, and helps the alcoholic gain enough strength to get and stay sober. So, it works for many people. The how and the why is probably moot for those who desperately need help.