Old 06-17-2013, 02:40 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Michael66
Recovering

I am looking forwards to an experiment that can determine the presense of God
I think you'll be waiting a long time Mr Tumble. I know of no scientist who thinks science can prove or disprove the existence of God. But I too will be interested if anyone thinks they can design such an experiment. It would probably be the most eagerly anticipated experiment of all time. Until that time we can simply observe the widespread sense of the numinous that so many people have (equally I can accept that for someone without that sense, faith may well seem odd).

As for science being at odds with faith. Many of us embrace science and faith. Clearly not everyone buys the science/faith dichotomy. I don't. Science has been my living for 30 years (more than 25 of which are post-doc). My faith is central to who I am and what I do. I love them both and I learn from them both, but I accept that other people feel they can't embrace both (I have also come across people of faith who are scared of science, though that is much less common in Europe than it is in the US). I think they are missing out on the fullest and deepest experience of life, but that's just my opinion.

Anyway, good talking to Mr Tumble.