Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Nuudawn

Originally Posted by awuh1 View Post
I am not threatened nor offended by MrT’s opinion either. It’s not his opinion that is objectionable; it is his use of language that denigrates the beliefs of others.

It is when he uses language such as “mystic mumbo-jumbo” and says "higher power" falls into the same category (as) the Jedi "Force" that he becomes disrespectful to those whose beliefs are at odds with his own. I do find this disrespectful.

I think there is a common thread between the views of people the OP referred to in his original post (the ones who told him he was “doomed to fail” if his beliefs were at odds with theirs) and MrT’s. What they both have in common is a lack of tolerance for the views of others.

It is at odds with the spirit of AA, and reminds me of a quote by one of the AA founders who stated Tolerance furnishes, as a by-product, a greater freedom from the tendency to cling to preconceived ideas and stubbornly adhered-to opinions. In other words, it often promotes an open-mindedness that is vastly important – is, in fact, a prerequisite to the successful termination of any line of search, whether it be scientific or spiritual.”
I don't know..I suppose it all falls down to perception. He believes the notion of faith or a higher power is ...mystic mumbo jumbo. I personally do not nor does airing one's beliefs feel disrespectful to me.

I have the freedom to believe ...he does not. I personally, think that an absence of a spiritual component..whether than is God, universal law or simply that the world is inherently good and a message of faith is one of love and goodwil...is sad.

Is it disrespectful for me to state that I think it's sad that he doesn't believe?