View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 10:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Nighthawk8820
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by reedzkee View Post
Well after 5-6 years of heavy drinking, I decided to stop after some liver pains following a binge last weekend.

For 2 days I limited myself to 1 light beer to keep the major symptoms at bay and it worked for the most part. Then I went 3 days with nothing.

I actually only felt really bad on day 3 - I felt scared (most of all), shaky, restless, nauseous, cold sweats - ya'll know the drill. But later that day a wave of calm passed over me and I felt like I was on drugs - it was wonderfully weird.

Yesterday I felt great all day, but then for some reason around 9:30 PM I was getting crazy urges. Just one to take the edge off, I kept telling myself. I paced around a while, I tried to calm down, but I couldn't. I caved. I went downstairs and had a big "sip" from my friends Old Fashioned. My brain felt better but my body didn't - the same pains I had throughout my abdomen all week came back for an hour or so.

Today is the next morning and I am so pissed at myself. I feel like a failure. Did I offset the progress I made ? Did I essentially step back 3 days ? Did that one big sip make much of a difference ?

I know this may seem petty to some. I tend to overthink things, which is why I have put off quitting for so long. I just know this kinda thing is finicky. I used to love me some opiates before I started drinking, and quickly figured out that even just one night of that stuff could put me right back to where I was at my worst.

I'm still very much committed to quitting, I just don't wanna feel like I ruined 100% of the progress I have made.
You are too new to have offset anything really substantial, but you will have to start again. The important thing is you change up your sobriety plan a little and maybe limit your exposure to alcohol for a while. That includes being with friends who have it in their house, or having it in your own home. You can do this, dont focus on your slip up, just learn from it and try again.