View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Midlifecrisis

Originally Posted by catgonewild1 View Post
I wanted to start a subject that is huge with me and always has been:: anonymity and shame. Meaning, in this place I live now, people have only seen me drink once in three years, and that was at a party last weekend. No one else, ever. Never at any other party, drinking occasion, etc. In fact, for a long time I've thought that my daughter's friends' moms didn't like me much because most of them drink and I don't.

Now, I NEVER ever tell anyone why I don't drink. Never have. It's always "I take medication" (which is true, but it never stopped me from drinking on it in the past.) Or "I get headaches." But never "I'm in recovery."

What made me think about this was reading another thread where a mom had at one point posted pictures. I thought to myself: "Pictures??? Names?? I even shuddered to put my real city." I would DIE literally if people knew I even had 3 1/2 years of sobriety before I even relapsed!! But WHY? That's what I'm trying to figure out about myself. I shame myself for drinking. I shame myself and hide my recovery. Either way it's just shame and guilt.

My family and husband and two close friends are the only non-AA people who know why I don't drink. I just never would let anyone else in. Is the stigma of this disease so great that even if you have long-term recovery you have to hide it?

Or is it just me? Keep in mind I am 50 plus years old and raised in a very traditional ethnic family where guilt and shame were the way of life. But I'd love to hear others' views on how open you are sharing that you're in recovery.
Yeah I have always been super shy and super closed but last year I stood up and church and shared my story of being an addict (at the time I had over ten years clean.). Then I relapsed! Thought about hiding it but then I ended up in detox so missing from town for 2 weeks (and everyone noticed because I live in a 400 person town with kids at school, soccer, ballet, Kindy, etc. so they saw my husband was doing all the things I should have been.

A few people who knew said 'oh what are you going to say?? You could say this or that....' But I decided, alot probably know half the truth, other people will make up stories and gossip anyway so I am just going to be honest with anyone who asks. And I have been. I'm not the only less than perfect person. I have alot to lose, I run the local pool, teach the whole towns kids to swim, help at school, ballet, soccer etc. but I'm not gojng to be ashamed and I'm not gojng to lie. Yes I struggle, you don't!?? I am leaving my reputation in gods hands and concentrating on getting better and being the best I can be.