View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Ladybug2

Originally Posted by catgonewild1 View Post
Ladybug, I can tell you that in my early sobriety this was the type of thing I avoided like the plague. It killed me being able to see people having fun drinking and fighting my own cravings. One good rule of thumb is: if the party/event is geared around a real purpose *besides* drinking (i.e. banquet, wedding, funeral, birthday party, special dinner, etc.) then it's probably ok. If its whole purpose is drinking and/or music and your friends drink alot, then it is a slippery
This is sooo true. If it were a dinner, maybe, but not going to go drink club soda, probably standing up cuz it will be so packed, while drunk people bump into me and scream in my ear. No thanks. Thanks everyone for your advice and support, as always!

Cat, my only support right now is SR. I tried AA a year ago, but couldn't quite get into the whole "step" thing. Not that there is anything wrong with it. Just didn't work for me. Longest I ever made it while attending AA was 21 days. I have 40 days and counting this time around using SR The only people who know the truth about my alcoholism are my husband and mom. My brother, SIL, Dad and Stepmom all knew I was "struggling" last year, but now think I have stopped drinking because I am trying to get pregnant. Really wish I wouldn't have told them last year when I went to AA. Not real close to my Dad and think that only put more of a strain on our relationship. He has not once asked me how I am doing since and think he is just disappointed in me, but that's nothing knew and I could write pages about that relationship ....

Anyway, I think I will keep doing what I have been doing. Truly feel so grateful to have found SR and all of you!