Thread: Mini Bender
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2013, 04:54 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Threshold
Grateful to be free

SO glad you didn't stay away this time.

I remember my last "let's try this one more time" drink...it didn't taste good either...or feel good. The whole insanity of "I'm upset, I think I'll hurt myself some more" never REALLY made me feel better.

As far as suggestions...first take the option of drinking off the table. Decide you're not doing it anymore. period. That frees up a lot of room to try other things.

I found that reaching way outside my bag of tricks helped a great deal because when I was in brand new territory it was very difficult to slip back into my old ways. The new things took a lot of attention, time and effort...and they were interesting because it was a whole new thing...no same old, same old.

I started getting into chakras and cleansing my aura and relaxation videos and guided meditations on youtube. A different perspective on a relationship with myself, life etc. Visualization has been a huge help to me, because it gives me practice "seeing" things in a new way. My old way wasn't doing me any favors.

I do work 12 steps, have an NA sponsor on the other side of the country, but do most of my 12 step work through other 12 step programs (some of them pagan and new agey) and get community and support online...through guides, questions etc, and use SR as my recovery community.

I walk labyrinths. I do online meditations in the morning. I do gratitude lists and exercises...it's gotten me clean and kept me clean for over a year. I never made it past a couple of months before. I don't think the methods I use have any special power or magic, but I do think the fact that they are totally different from my old ways of thinking helped break the stranglehold my old destructive patterns had on me.