Thread: OT Fiji!
View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
isn't this the part where you fall in love with the captain, marry him and live happily ever after? LOL
I loved him a WHOLE LOT. I think he was rather less fond of me, after I lost a flipper in the ocean. He and his mate actually swam BACK out and dove for it--and FOUND it. I think snorkeling equipment is pretty pricy for them--looked like it had been around for a while.

Actually, our boat masters were extremely sweet guys. The resort where we stayed the last night in Fiji (Takalana Bay Resort--highly recommend) is an "eco" resort, which I gather means solar power that is completely out after 10 pm, and non-functioning hot water. It was terrific, though--the family that owned it were super nice. On the boat trip we also got to watch spinner dolphins--they come out to the reef to feed twice a day. We must have had 50-100 dolphins swimming around us and intermittently jumping out of the water.

I also got to see my first mongoose on the lawn of our hotel. There were also bats and giant frogs.

Suva, the capital of Fiji, where we spent most of our time, reminds me a bit of Camden, NJ, only with palm trees. Everyone was SOOO friendly there, though, and they seemed to really appreciate our visit. I'd love to go back for an actual vacation someday.