OT Fiji!

Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A work in progress

OT Fiji!

Got back on Monday from my trip to Fiji. Apart from minor inconveniences such as having my luggage delayed for four days and having to be rescued by our captain while snorkeling (I decided to sacrifice my dignity for the sake of saving my office the paperwork that would have been involved if I had drowned), it was a wonderful, amazing, and productive trip. We met with a lot of strong and determined women doing some pretty amazing things with very little financial or political support. It reminded me of what it was like back in the 60s when so many women here in the US were just beginning to discover their rights and to fight for them. We were interviewed for a radio program that broadcasts to the remote islands, I was interviewed on national (Fiji) TV, and the American Ambassador showed up for my presentation at a colloquium we held at the University of the South Pacific.

And even though they can't hold a candle to the photos LaTeeDa and jazzman post, here are some of my humble memories of Fiji.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fiji 1.jpg (58.3 KB, 94 views)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And another one...
Attached Images
Fiji 2.jpg (63.3 KB, 92 views)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

And last but not least...
Attached Images
Fiji 3.jpg (70.8 KB, 89 views)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very beautiful and serene.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

so glad your trip was good Lexie

D
Old 06-12-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Beautiful pics, and I'm really glad you didn't drown Sounds like a pretty awesome trip!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 06-12-2013, 07:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
"The Journey Not The Arrival Matters"
You don't by any chance work for Air Pacific's luggage department, do you??
Old 06-12-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you so very much for sharing those pictures, it looks so serene.
yes, when I think serene, I think of a tropical place just like that.

rescued by our captain while snorkeling
but, isn't this the part where you fall in love with the captain, marry him and live happily ever after? LOL

It reminded me of what it was like back in the 60s when so many women here in the US were just beginning to discover their rights and to fight for them. We were interviewed for a radio program that broadcasts to the remote islands, I was interviewed on national (Fiji) TV, and the American Ambassador showed up for my presentation at a colloquium we held at the University of the South Pacific.
Wow! How thrilling this sounds! Just starting the fight for rights.
National TV, the Ambassador, colloquiums, I can say I knew you when!

How thoughtful of you to save the office the paperwork of your accidental death.
It is just like you.
This is so exciting. History being made. It is powerful stuff.
Okay, I hardly ever say this word, but now it works.

Awesome.

Beth
Old 06-12-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

no lexie

D
Old 06-12-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by wicked View Post
isn't this the part where you fall in love with the captain, marry him and live happily ever after? LOL
I loved him a WHOLE LOT. I think he was rather less fond of me, after I lost a flipper in the ocean. He and his mate actually swam BACK out and dove for it--and FOUND it. I think snorkeling equipment is pretty pricy for them--looked like it had been around for a while.

Actually, our boat masters were extremely sweet guys. The resort where we stayed the last night in Fiji (Takalana Bay Resort--highly recommend) is an "eco" resort, which I gather means solar power that is completely out after 10 pm, and non-functioning hot water. It was terrific, though--the family that owned it were super nice. On the boat trip we also got to watch spinner dolphins--they come out to the reef to feed twice a day. We must have had 50-100 dolphins swimming around us and intermittently jumping out of the water.

I also got to see my first mongoose on the lawn of our hotel. There were also bats and giant frogs.

Suva, the capital of Fiji, where we spent most of our time, reminds me a bit of Camden, NJ, only with palm trees. Everyone was SOOO friendly there, though, and they seemed to really appreciate our visit. I'd love to go back for an actual vacation someday.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm glad you are back. I was wondering where you were!
Seems like an amazing trip.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Hey Beth, I just tried to reply to your PM, and it says you are "not accepting PMs"?

Sorry to ask publicly, but, lol, no other way to do it!
Old 06-12-2013, 08:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did not know!
I will fix it!

Geeze.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Heh, and here you were prolly wondering why nobody's PM'ing you....

Poor Bethie.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:45 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I do not get pm's I know no one loves me!
When will I fall off a boat in Fiji?
LOL
Yeah, that damn flipper!
that captain needs to watch some wacky love comedies Amurricun style!

heehee

Okay, now I know why I get no PMs!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Lexie---Weeeeelcome back!! I am so proud of the work you do!.......From an old womens' rights pioneer(of sorts). Actually met and talked to Bella Abzud and Gloria Steinem one time.(name dropping, I know) (I live close to D.C.). What I find so startling is that when I talk to young women/girls--they aren't even aware of the fact that we so recently won many rights that are taken for granted.....much like racism for young people.

Maybe you can give us a short summary of where Figi is in terms of domestic violence (that really is on topic for this forum).

Your photos are stunning........what a great adventure you have had!

You were missed.

dandylion
Old 06-12-2013, 10:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Occasional poor taste poster

Dayum!! I'm so jealous. After having been to Tahiti/Bora Bora getting back to the South Pacific as a certified diver is huge on my bucket list.

The Caribbean is nice but the South Pacific bumps it up a few notches.. doesn't it? Cook Islands and Fiji and maybe a dive cruise to some of the lesser known atolls. Gotta get on that before I get much older.

Glad you got to experience that. A trip of a lifetime if you ask me. How did you like that flight?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Gorgeous pictures! So glad you had a wonderful time. You deserve that. It sounds like an adventure you will never forget.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I got to meet Gloria Steinem once, too--I have her signed biography. dandylion, you would have gotten a huge kick out of some of the women there. The woman who runs the radio station, femLink Pacific, and her mom, attended many of our meetings. Sharon told us how her mom, Rachel, was always involved in the women's rights stuff when Sharon was young and Sharon was bored stiff and thought it was dumb. Now the torch has been passed, and Sharon is very active in all kinds of work for women, peace, and justice. Rachel is now in her late 70s or so, and still going strong. If you are interested in what they do, check out their website and listen to some of their podcasts. They have "suitcase radio" going out to the remote areas, and there are lots of interviews with the women about their day to day lives.

DV awareness in Fiji is about where it was in this country in the late 70s and early 80s. There are a few shelters and women are putting together advocacy centers (Fiji Women's Crisis Center is the most prominent--unfortunately they were tied up with a major training while we were there and we did not get to meet with them). The laws have been upgraded so far as DV goes, but enforcement is spotty and the legal infrastructure in Fiji overall is much less developed. Women do play a role in government, but the culture is still catching up. Transportation issues are a huge problem, as it is very difficult for women on remote islands (or even some interior parts of the main island) to get to court, or to a hospital, or to a shelter.

I have a feeling that things will continue to progress there. We did a lot of work in our colloquium on how to collaborate with each other--making sure groups could pool their resources and provide services to each other's clients. Everyone was enthusiastic about doing it, and I think everyone left with more contacts and more knowledge than they had before. I told them not to get discouraged--things improved in the U.S. through the same kinds of efforts they are making. But it takes time, determination, and a lot of hard work. I think they are up to the challenge, but they can certainly use more funding.
Old 06-13-2013, 05:54 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Originally Posted by Jazzman View Post
How did you like that flight?
It was LONG. Especially traveling from the East Coast. On the return flight we were stuck in LA for a nine-hour layover. Air Pacific (soon to be Air Fiji) has older planes, and the seats/video etc. were kind of beat up. They have a couple of Airbuses they are adding to their fleet, though, which should be much nicer. And, of course, the luggage issue was frustrating--nobody seemed terribly concerned about reuniting me and my wardrobe.