View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
honeypig

For me, it is really teaching me a LOT about not doing for others what they can (and should) do for themselves. I honestly never thought I did stuff for others (w/o them asking/needing/wanting it, even!) nearly as much as I did!

Example: Today RAH comments that now that he is not hungover every AM, he is finding that he can't drink regular coffee like he did w/o feeling like "the skin on my face is standing up." Past response would have been for me to start preemptively mixing my decaf half and half w/his high-test so it wouldn't bother him, and he wouldn't have to remember that it causes a problem to drink high test or actually take the action of pouring some decaf into his cup along w/the regular. Current response? Said, "You know, I keep a container of brewed decaf on the counter for me to drink throughout the day; you are more than welcome to take some to cut your high-test with."

That may seem really small and really stupid, but it is an AMAZING step for me. Plus, I see how incredibly, astoundingly, overwhelmingly often I did this in the past, not just for him but for virtually anyone who crossed my path and needed ANYTHING! Good lord....

So thanks for the thread; this is an interesting topic. Hope it gets more thoughts.