View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
FireSprite

For me, it unintentionally sent me down the rabbit hole & forced me to see things in a different way as an adult woman with an AH vs. a child of an addict. I thought I had done my healing & understood my damage but when I started to deal with having an alcoholic spouse it triggered something in me and I more clearly saw the duality of events then & now. He hid most of his abusive drinking from me for a long time so I was slow to learn that our problems were the result of alcohol; my dad was much more obvious. They situations are so very different in a LOT of ways, but the similarities are also stunning. I was really lost at first when he started AA & didn't understand anything about seeking my own recovery until I found SR & started reading, reading, reading.

In finding my way through my own recovery I feel like I'm healing my Inner Child alongside my Adult Woman; and focusing on what is best for DD & keeping her from having TOO much damage down the road somehow feeds back to helping me deal with my IC too... it's like a giant circle of energy.

I was a strong & confident person before all this sucked the life out of me & I know that I will be stronger & MORE confident again because the changes I am making are significant & lasting & go all the way down to the core of who I am.