View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
AnvilheadII

good stuff! great post!

one of those A's would be my mom. weird, I remember when she began to distance herself from me (single parent, only child) shortly HER mom died. I was 12. from then on I really don't remember much GOOD stuff...it was like my mom was just DONE trying to be a parent...she went on a lot of trips, business you know, and I was left to my own devices...not starving, god,there was food and I was FAR from deprived...it's that, I was left alone. even when she was home she worked late (mind you she was the manager of the apt building we lived in, her office was one flight up). and then there was her "boss" Bill...who came over almost every night, after dinner....and then it was always...Theresa Renee, go to your room, Bill and I have business to discuss." almost EVERY night...one moment it's mom and I, next moment HE is there and I am sent away. (should I mention that he was married with 12 kids???? and I was friends with the kids???).

it was hank, actually, that got me to thinking about all the good things my mom had been to my life, and such a big part of who I am today. he said...your mom must have been a helluva woman to raise a gal like you. I have a framed pic of my mom, standing on the stern of our boat, The Dilly, when she was commodore of the Ketchikan Yacht Club...all 5'4" of her, in her cute little above the knees white pleated skirt, dark blue jacket, white pumps, and captains hat....saluting. hank, who had never met my mom, began to salute back sometimes.

and I began to tell him the stories.....he knows the only verbal advice my mother gave me was Don't Ride Around in Cars with Boys and ALWAYS put your napkin in your lap! (Theresa Renee? yes mom. Do you plan to EAT that napkin? no. then get it off the table and into your lap.

what were the lessons there? don't be stupid and put yourself in harms way....and always remember your manners. safety. respect.

not bad lessons, eh?