View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
StarlessNight

Staying sober on business trips?

97 days sober and on my first business trip in a city that has so far proved to be rather boring. I have a good amount of downtime (non-conference hours) in the next few days. I don't anticipate hanging out much with the three other people from my company who are here.

So here I am, alone in a hotel room, bored out of my skull -- restless, irritable, and discontent. The sick part of my mind thinks that a perfect cure for this feeling would be getting as drunk as humanly possible while I sit here alone (drinking alone was my favorite pastime until not too long ago). Being alone in a city away from home, nobody would know. But of course, I don't want to pretend I've been sober when I haven't been, and most of all I don't want to throw away all my sober time.

The longer I stay away from booze, the easier it is to stay away. But boredom is probably my #1 trigger and my mind defaults to thinking of drinking as the remedy for that.

Any suggestions as to how I can survive the next few days without drinking? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.