Notices

Staying sober on business trips?

Old 06-09-2013, 12:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Staying sober on business trips?

97 days sober and on my first business trip in a city that has so far proved to be rather boring. I have a good amount of downtime (non-conference hours) in the next few days. I don't anticipate hanging out much with the three other people from my company who are here.

So here I am, alone in a hotel room, bored out of my skull -- restless, irritable, and discontent. The sick part of my mind thinks that a perfect cure for this feeling would be getting as drunk as humanly possible while I sit here alone (drinking alone was my favorite pastime until not too long ago). Being alone in a city away from home, nobody would know. But of course, I don't want to pretend I've been sober when I haven't been, and most of all I don't want to throw away all my sober time.

The longer I stay away from booze, the easier it is to stay away. But boredom is probably my #1 trigger and my mind defaults to thinking of drinking as the remedy for that.

Any suggestions as to how I can survive the next few days without drinking? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Starless....

I would get yourself out and about as much as possible. I'm guessing you are in a new city? Go tourist-like and see some stuff Keep yourself busy.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

also congrats on the 97 days!!
Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I wandered around outside for a bit and found it wholly underwhelming. It's a bunch of chain stores, restaurants, and non-scenic scenery. I will eventually venture to more exciting areas later into my stay (with an old friend who lives nearby) but right now I'm not sure what to do with myself...
Old 06-09-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Go on yelp or urbanspoon and find the top reviewed restaurant in town. Make that your destination no matter what/where it is.
Old 06-09-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Does your hotel have a gym? If not, you could look around for a local gym with day/week passes.
Being around healthy people always inspires me to be the same, plus it might help tire you out.
Old 06-09-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Movies, movies and more movies. I travel extensively for work and have spent many a day/night locked in my hotel room since I got sober. For me, I am easily bored and visit pretty much the same cities so that novelty of wandering around wore off. Even with 9 months under my belt, I still don't trust myself to sit at the bar in the middle of the afternoon or go to the pool so the room is my haven.

At first, I balked at the idea of spending 17.99 to watch a movie but I quickly realized I used to spend WAY more than that at the bar so I overcame my cheapness and started renting the in room movies. Usually there are hundreds to choose from and I venture to say I've seen probably half of them. Lol! But seriously, I've found it to be a good tool in order to occupy myself for a while and not go down and drink.

I also surf SR and call friends. Believe me, I know an hour takes an eternity to pass when in a hotel room but the good old TV has become my best travel buddy.

I also order room service, take a bath and sometimes just people watch out my window.

Hope this helps!!! Good luck!!!!
Old 06-09-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I always take my own laptop or tablet when I have to go on trips. That way I have something to entertain me if the area is a bore. I load the laptop with some games (Im a big time gamer) and I can pass countless hours with nary a thought of booze.
Old 06-09-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh dear. I just looked at the events list and there are many "cocktail hours" planned. Guess there's no time like the present to face these sorts of functions, huh? :\
Old 06-09-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I don't travel a lot for work, but my routine usually included at least a 12 pack and maybe some carry out food at the hotel as soon as humanly possible.

I've only been on a couple trips since quitting, but I did seek out a couple guitar shops and even checked out a guitar that was for sale on the local Craigslist. Maybe you could check out shops or events related to a hobby of yours?
Old 06-09-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sightseeing, gym, dining out, movies... those all sound like good choices in your circumstance.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I spend more time in hotels alone on trips for work than I do at home. True story. I'm in one right now. Tonight I took my book down to the hot tub and sat in it reading for about an hour. I use the treadmill and take advantage of the free coffee. Netflix is my best friend and you can usually get some microwave popcorn at the front desk to go with that.

I know all about those cocktail hours. They're lame. I preferred to get hammered alone in my room. The other active lonely alcoholics on trips all get together and pass the time, never really listening to each other the way lonely numb drunks do.

Good luck, stay sober.