View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
suki44883
RIP Sweet Suki

That reminds me of the time I went to an AA meeting, but I didn't go inside. I had gone one time before and they had given me the AA book and another book and told me to pay when I could. So, that night, I drove over there an hour or so before I knew the meeting would start. I put the money for the books in an envelope and set it inside the screen door. Then, I took one of the outside chairs to the far corner of the yard and sat there drinking beer.

When people started showing up for the meeting, some went inside, but 4 or 5 of them came out and sat with me and talked with me while the meeting was going on. Afterward, I got up to leave and two of the women convinced me to let one of them drive my car to my house and the other would follow. I will never forget that kindness. No one tried to make me feel bad, they just wanted to make sure I got home safely.

Although I did not continue in the program of AA, I will never forget how kind and understanding they were to me. On June 6th, I celebrated 5 years sober. Even though I didn't do it through AA, they had more to do with it than they'll ever know.