Notices

Got to help another alcoholic tonight

Old 06-07-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Got to help another alcoholic tonight

A lady that should not have been driving tried to drive home after the meeting and we stopped her and drove her home after A LOT of arguing and even threatening to call the police when she tried to drive away.

She INSISTED that she was not drunk. I saw myself in her because I DID AND SAID THE SAME THING!!!! I said " You reek and yes you are too drunk!"

Anyway, hopefully she did not go back out and drive.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

An AA meeting? Wowsers. I am reminded of why I'm sitting here. Last sunday I was hammered. Someone dropped $20 in my lap and called me a cab. When the cab came I told him to get lost and ordered more wine with the $20. I later...drove home. I decided to quit the next day. I've used up my good graces...and I just know in my bones there is a disaster imminent if I keep drinking. I am terrified I might hurt/kill someone and live to see what I have done to someone and their families.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

That reminds me of the time I went to an AA meeting, but I didn't go inside. I had gone one time before and they had given me the AA book and another book and told me to pay when I could. So, that night, I drove over there an hour or so before I knew the meeting would start. I put the money for the books in an envelope and set it inside the screen door. Then, I took one of the outside chairs to the far corner of the yard and sat there drinking beer.

When people started showing up for the meeting, some went inside, but 4 or 5 of them came out and sat with me and talked with me while the meeting was going on. Afterward, I got up to leave and two of the women convinced me to let one of them drive my car to my house and the other would follow. I will never forget that kindness. No one tried to make me feel bad, they just wanted to make sure I got home safely.

Although I did not continue in the program of AA, I will never forget how kind and understanding they were to me. On June 6th, I celebrated 5 years sober. Even though I didn't do it through AA, they had more to do with it than they'll ever know.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Denial was a big part of my active alcoholism and I would convince myself of all sorts of insanity like I wasn't drunk. All anyone can do is hope and pray for those still suffering and if they are trying AA , hope Step 1 comes before further tragedy.