Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 07:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
pmaslan

Gracey,
I went to a family meeting with my ASO the other night. The subject of Christmas was a hot topic. She asked the recovering A's in the group their feelings about the holidays and family get togethers. Some complained that they didn't even want to go with their SO's to the get togethers for fear of ridicule or temptations of alcohol being there. The social worker who was leading this group said " Don't go then, do whatever you want. If you are uncomfortable just leave, DO WHAT YOU WANT TO DO TO MAKE YOURSELF HAPPY." I had mixed emotions to that whole thing. First of all they are already good at doing what they want. Haven't they spent enough time already doing just that! Secondly, what is wrong with bucking up and doing something for your SO for a change even if it makes you a bit uncomfortable, my god haven't we done a million things out of love for our A that has made us uncomfortable. I say go to see your family, your AH will be there when you get back. Family will always be there for you, cherish the fact that you will all be together for a holiday. He will just have to get over it.