Old 06-06-2013, 10:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Soberpotamus

Hi there, welcome to SR.

There are many options for you. I can very much relate to what you're saying about the depression and the anxiety around others.

This is what I did: I checked into a 20 day IOP group therapy program to get myself out of isolation and around others. I think it was the best decision I could have made! I'm now doing a combination of continuing care group once per week, individual therapy biweekly, AA, SMART, Women For Sobriety, and SR. I do online meetings daily but I make sure to do a f2f at least twice every week to get around others.

And as for the sponsor... I felt exactly the same about the age/experience level. So, I went down the list for female sponsors and deliberately selected a name I though an older lady would have (call me ageist, lol) but it worked.... I've ended up by randomly selecting from a list the best sponsor I could have ever asked for... she is older, wiser, very smart, and came from an agnostic background and she is well educated, etc. so she had my respect immediately... and she treats me like an adult and is not overbearing at all. So... all that to say: you can maneuver yourself out of this negative place and into something much better!

Good luck!