View Single Post
Old 12-21-2004, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Magichappens
Dancing To My Own Beat

Til we meet again

Hi Family,
This is the hardest post I've ever had to write. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and not a lot of posting. The reason is that when I came to this forum, it was called Al-Anon. That is what brought me and that is what kept me. For me, the Al-Anon principles saved my life. It gave me the ability to love without losing myself. It gave me the tools to face life on life's terms, and be ok with that. It healed me and gave me strength. It has taught me how to be happy, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not. It has taught me that I can run away from an alcoholic, but I can't run away from myself. The list could go on for days.

Things change. Life doesn't stand still. One day, the Al-Anon forum was gone. The other 12 step programs are still here. The principles are practiced, the traditions upheld. But this forum has become diluted. To those who find comfort here, I am glad. But for me, it has become hard to share a message that many find unappealing. I need Al-Anon more today than the day I found it. I need people to share the positive, life affirming program so that I can continue to seek a higher level of growth and understanding.

Al-Anon has taught me not to force solutions, but to look inside and find a path that is right for me. Sometimes this means that I have to let go of things that have brought me comfort. Sometimes it means I have to let go of something or someone I love. I think that the time for this to happen with this part of my life is here.

I didn't want to go without some sort of closure. This site has helped me through some of the toughest things I've ever had to face. There are those here who gave me hope and encouragement, not advice. They helped me by sharing their recovery, and allowing me to share mine. They have given me a peice of their soul to carry with me. For you, I will always be grateful.

I will still be online. There are places that share the message of Al-Anon, and I hope to see some of you there. In my life, that is where the magic happens.

Your friend in spirit, Magic