Til we meet again

Old 12-21-2004, 09:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Til we meet again

Hi Family,
This is the hardest post I've ever had to write. I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, and not a lot of posting. The reason is that when I came to this forum, it was called Al-Anon. That is what brought me and that is what kept me. For me, the Al-Anon principles saved my life. It gave me the ability to love without losing myself. It gave me the tools to face life on life's terms, and be ok with that. It healed me and gave me strength. It has taught me how to be happy, whether the alcoholic is still drinking or not. It has taught me that I can run away from an alcoholic, but I can't run away from myself. The list could go on for days.

Things change. Life doesn't stand still. One day, the Al-Anon forum was gone. The other 12 step programs are still here. The principles are practiced, the traditions upheld. But this forum has become diluted. To those who find comfort here, I am glad. But for me, it has become hard to share a message that many find unappealing. I need Al-Anon more today than the day I found it. I need people to share the positive, life affirming program so that I can continue to seek a higher level of growth and understanding.

Al-Anon has taught me not to force solutions, but to look inside and find a path that is right for me. Sometimes this means that I have to let go of things that have brought me comfort. Sometimes it means I have to let go of something or someone I love. I think that the time for this to happen with this part of my life is here.

I didn't want to go without some sort of closure. This site has helped me through some of the toughest things I've ever had to face. There are those here who gave me hope and encouragement, not advice. They helped me by sharing their recovery, and allowing me to share mine. They have given me a peice of their soul to carry with me. For you, I will always be grateful.

I will still be online. There are places that share the message of Al-Anon, and I hope to see some of you there. In my life, that is where the magic happens.

Your friend in spirit, Magic
Old 12-21-2004, 10:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You are aware of Jon's post of why it no longer bears the name al-anon aren't you?
You will be missed.
Old 12-21-2004, 11:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dancing To My Own Beat

Yes, I am aware. Believe me, this is not a dig at SR, or the forum team. Just the opposite. It is a testament to how much this site has given me. Before, if my needs weren't getting met, I would have been filled with resentment and blame. I would have left without giving it a thought. But today I can recognize that I am responsible for getting my needs met. No blame, no finger pointing. Just a new direction in my journey through recovery. I will miss this place. I will stay around for proper goodbyes. Hugs, Magic
Old 12-22-2004, 12:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Magic,
I will miss your wisdom
I will miss your insights
I will miss your sense of fun
I will miss your strength
I will mss Miss Piggy
Most of all, I will miss you
As Kermit said - "wherever you go, there you are." I hope that "there" is always a good place.
Hugs to you and yours.
Cheers mate - you've been a Godsend to me
Sandra
Old 12-22-2004, 12:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Magic -

I'm sorry to see you leave us. Before you do could you explain what you mean by "it has become hard to share a message that many find unappealing"? Do you mean the principles of Alanon?

Hugs, Jo
Old 12-22-2004, 12:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Magichappens

I will miss you sooo much. You have been my voice of reason. You have shown me how recovery works. You have shared with us all how to live. You have given me hope.

When I first came to SR, I didn't understand your message. I wasn't going to Al-anon then. But as the months have gone on, I cherish what you say. I always hope that you will share some of your wisdom on my posts. I often hope you would share some of that wisdom on other posts. I am looking for a sponsor at the moment and I am want to find someone who's got what you're got. You have made a serious impact on my recovery and I want to say thank you from the bottom of my heart.

I know that you would not be leaving unless you felt that this was good for your recovery. I wish you well in the future and for your continued growth.

This place will not be the same without you. Thank you for sharing.

I'll miss you

Love

Minnie
xxx
Old 12-22-2004, 01:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dont fade away.....

Maybe you just needed to be reminded that you are needed, good luck on your journey and remember, the fire is within you not this forum, we are just tools of love and respect..to guide each other on the pathway to recovery...may all your dreams come true...and yes, magic happens, as you know.

be well,....
Old 12-22-2004, 02:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Magic..without you here...the forum will not be the same. I have read your posts and gotten good wisdom and strength. You are a major person on this forum who has the right words and thoughts on any given subject. Will miss you..greatly. Won't be the same.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Magic

As you know, the 12-step program has been vital to my recovery and continues to be the guideline for my daily living.

I came here because I needed help, guidance and support and am grateful for all who were here before me, who welcomed me and held me up until I could walk alone. Not all were 12-steppers. But each offered me something unique and beautiful.

I stayed because I continue to grow here every day, and because I feel a need to give back what has so freely been given to me. My 12th Step suggests I carry this message and practice these principles in all my affairs. To me that doesn't just mean meetings, or official Anon sites, but it means that I live my recovery and share it with anyone who wants what I have.

You have so much to give, Magic, and you have given so freely. You have been an inspiration to my recovery and a good friend on this journey. I wish you only the best in whatever you decide is right for you, but please know that this codie will miss you terribly.

Hugs and Love
Ann
Old 12-22-2004, 05:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Dearest Magic,

First let me just say that I agree with alot of what you posted...most of it in fact. My very sanity was saved by Alanon and the 12 steps are still my first love.

The things that I have gained here I could not have gotten in the structure of the AA program. I have been opened up to additional literature for instance. I am a questioner and seeing the same lessons in different words only strengthens my recovery. I have also learned that there is more than one way to recover. I am proud of that.

Hugs,
JT
Old 12-22-2004, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

magic - may you continue in your recovery wherever that takes you! you are a true "poster child" of what recovery/al-anon/perserverence can bring to us all! thanks!

hugs - cwohio
Old 12-22-2004, 05:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Magic, my dear friend...
There are not sufficient words to tell you what you mean to me or what you have given me.
I'm sorry that you have reached this decision.
I will respect and understand that it's what you feel you need to do.
I will miss you deeply.
Love, hugs and light,
Gabe
Old 12-22-2004, 05:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Ugh!

Magic,
I'm very new here and not so sure of what you mean by the Al-anon principles just yet, I'm learning... Thank you for sharing all of your experience with in your posts. It is very unfortunate that you are leaving us. Your posts have been some of my very favorite here they are always so positive and uplifting. Good luck to you!
Your words will be missed
Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

All da the best of the very best to you..!!!!!!!!!...Take care.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:51 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dan

There can be no friendship where there is no freedom. William Penn
(...)
I'll miss you Mrs. Magic.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:20 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Oh, Magic.....
You were one of my very first inspirations here at SR and you remain an inspiration to me. There are many methods of recovery - all, I believe, with a common theme. Find yourself, love yourself, believe in yourself. Each of us has the freedom to choose which method is best for us and I know you will do what is best for you.

As I read your post, I looked outside my window and it began to snow. I love the snow but I live in Texas and, believe me, snow is a rareity here. For the rest of my life, everytime it begins to snow, I'll think of you.

I'll miss you, friend.
Wishing you big, fluffy snowflakes - L
Old 12-22-2004, 06:45 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Rest peacefully Sonny Boy

Magic, I'm sorry I'm not as far along as everyone else who posted before me. I'm still not above begging. Please Please Please don't go. You have been such a wonderful gift. Can't you have both, I'm sorry that is selfish of me. You will be so missed.

With LOVE and Hugs
Ms. B
Old 12-22-2004, 06:46 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
{tap}{tap}...Is this thing on?

Magic,

Thank you for putting into words things that I have been thinking myself. There seems to be much more cross-talk and advice giving now then when I started. I too hesitate to start threads with thoughts or revelations I have had because it is likely that someone will post their opinion to the topic, when all I want to do is share what I am thinking and haven't asked for feedback.

I respect your decision and understand where you are coming from and will look at my own responses to other's posts to make sure I am not guilty myself of doing the things that I mentioned above.

Magic, you are a splendid soul. And I do hope that our paths cross again at some point.

All the best to you today and on your journey to continued recovery,
Petunia
Old 12-22-2004, 06:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

(((((Magic))))) I wish you well in your journey. You will be so missed by me. I am fairly new on this journey and you often provided me with insight and wisdom when I did not understand. For selfish reasons, I am sorry you are going - sometimes people new to the acceptance of this disease just don't see things clearly and need people to help them refocus...that is where you have helped me greatly. God bless you Magic...as you can see by the previous posts...we will miss you!
Old 12-22-2004, 06:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
dax

Magic- I am sure my posts have been distressing to you because I have been disillusioned by the people in the 12 step program. I think both sides to a situation need to be known. But you have always been a strong voice for alanon and have blessed us with your strong stand for it. I feel we should all post our experiences but it will be a shame to lose one who is so positive in life. The best to you in your recovery. dax