View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
ClosetotheEdge

No more enabling - Money question

Hi,

I've been doing a lot of reading and thinking and have started the process of detaching from my A husband.
However I find it hard to understand how I can completely cut him off from all funds. Currently I am the only earner, I do control the money and give him money when asked (most of the time), but he does things like "I need 100 for groceries and gas" - I give him this, and afterwards I find out he only spent maybe half of that and spent the rest on drink. Or as he has done in the past, asked for money in his account to buy me a gift, or to treat the kids to a burger when he is looking after them etc, and again he has spent the money in the local bar.

I live in the real world, I can't physically manage to do everything that our family needs to have done, using cash, while working fulltime and managing the day to day practicalities of lie. So how do I avoid giving him money? I was thinking of perhaps giving him an allowance of x amount per week for day to day expenses, but I'm worried that this will get spent in a binge and then he'll come back looking for cash for something that I can't refuse, like food, gas, something for the children, batteries, whatever it might be..

Thoughts anyone?