View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
babycat

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
This is just my opinion. Please just take it as that. No, alcoholism is not a disease. It is a moral choice one makes in life. Cancer patients do not steal, lie and endanger public safety. Family & friends rally around the sick cancer patient but look down upon the alcoholic/addict. Cancer is a disease that one can prove while alcoholism is vague. Most doctors, secretly, do not believe in the alcoholism model. Cancer patients pay their bills & are not looking for hand outs. IMO, the "alcoholism is a disease" model was designed just to make alcoholics feel better & not so guilty. I choose not to pick up because I am tired of being a "drunkard" as the Bible puts it.
Ya know, not every alcoholic is an immoral ********. I am not calling you that at all btw, but it does seem to be your opinion of the rest of alcoholics. I drank, but was never a petty criminal. I never looked for handouts either.
My family absolutely rallied around me in my trying to get better. And still do.
That is the thing about us, we come from all walks of life and some of us have absolutely nothing in common other than alcohol abuse.