Notices

Alcoholism...a disease?

Old 05-29-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholism...a disease?

I am an alcoholic and I don't see it as a disease. I see it as stupidity on my part.
It was my CHOICE to drink. Nobody forced me, I made bad choice after bad choice. I think a lot of people hide behind that word.
"I can't help it, it's a disease." I don't believe it is.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Watch this 10 part series and then say you don't believe it's a disease...

Old 05-29-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ok if it is a disease, it's a self inflicted disease.
I wouldn't have this "disease" if I didn't choose to drink all those years.
I still don't believe that addiction is the same as having a disease that you have no control over like say.... Dementia or degenerative blindness.
Maybe I'm being harsh but I bought this addiction on myself and now I have to deal with it.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ok, you dont believe it to be a disease. now what?
Old 05-29-2013, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Now nothing....I'm not knocking anyone, I'm not trying to fight with anyone or get in anyone's face. I just posted my opinion, that is all.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I believe it is a disease.
At least one person in every generation of my family has been an alcoholic, and some not yet afflicted, have serious potential.
I am of the opinion that in my family your are allotted so many alcoholic beverages in your lifetime, once you hit your limit, the switch has been activated, you can no longer drink socially.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

One of the best lessons SR has taught me is I don't have to believe something just because someone else believes it.

Conversely others don't have to believe just because I believe something either

We all make meaning out of things according to our own experiences and beliefs.

Whatever way of looking at alcoholism makes sense to you and helps keep you sober, go for it

D
Old 05-29-2013, 08:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

People have the right to believe anything they want.....what I posted is just my belief. I don't expect anyone to agree with me, it's just my opinion.
As I said in my previous post I didn't post this to pick a fight or to get in someone's face. I apologise if I have offended anyone.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I wasn't offended. I was just giving what my thoughts are.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm ambivalent on the matter. As a user of the scientific method, I have my suspicions.

If it is or is not a disease, does that make drinking have less of a negative influence on my own life either way?

Nope. For my own drinking, that's all I need to know personally to not drink.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Ultimately I think whatever works for you. There was another thread along these lines and a Dr. survey was cited where 50% considered it a disease and 50% didn't. On the Mayo Clinic website the section on Alcoholism specifically begins, "A disease that..." Then you get into the clinical definition of disease vs Webster's etc. Soooo; this stuff is still controversial even among the "experts". I do know that It is very hard for people to stop and stigmatizing them as being weak or inherent degenerates is counterproductive to any sort of greater good. I vote for disease.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful

Talana,

I think what some are saying (and I tend to agree) declaring it a disease or not a disease doesn't change the fact that it's a problem that people have to deal with or they will eventually die from it. There are 2.5 million alcohol related deaths annually worldwide which accounts for 4% of all deaths worldwide. Whether it's a disease or not is still up for debate, but there is no debate that it kills a lot of people. I plan on not being one of them if I can help it.

2.5 Million Alcohol-Related Deaths Worldwide- Annually
Old 05-29-2013, 09:32 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Grungehead View Post
Talana,

I think what some are saying (and I tend to agree) declaring it a disease or not a disease doesn't change the fact that it's a problem that people have to deal with or they will eventually die from it. There are 2.5 million alcohol related deaths annually worldwide which accounts for 4% of all deaths worldwide. Whether it's a disease or not is still up for debate, but there is no debate that it kills a lot of people. I plan on not being one of them if I can help it.

2.5 Million Alcohol-Related Deaths Worldwide- Annually
yup, that was my point. doesnt matter if it is or isnt. what matters is solutions.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes you're right Grunge whether or not it's a disease is beside the point. It's a problem that many people deal with every day, me included.
Old 05-29-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Talana View Post
I am an alcoholic and I don't see it as a disease. I see it as stupidity on my part.
It was my CHOICE to drink. Nobody forced me, I made bad choice after bad choice. I think a lot of people hide behind that word.
"I can't help it, it's a disease." I don't believe it is.
It's a debate that's been going on for a long time. I researched the issue for a while, but I finally decided that whether it's a disease or a choice is moot--at least for my purposes. I only know that I can no longer control myself when I start drinking, and that quitting for good is my only rational and sensible choice. I'll let others continue the debate; although, I suspect it will never be settled definitively.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Recovering

Talana,

I certainly think an important part of recovery is recognising, accepting and confessing the decisions we made that contributed to our problems, seeking forgiveness and offering reparation where appropriate. Whether a "disease" or not we have to be careful not to abrogate our own responsibility and guilt (as a Christian I am comfortable recognising the "sin" of my indulgence in alcohol). To avoid our own culpability, if we just blaim it on a disease, reduces our ability to properly recover, IMO.

12 step recovery obviously centres on our accountability for our actions, which is very wise advice for anyone but perhaps especially an alcoholic who can have a very destructive affect on those around him or her.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The moral and social stigma attached to alcoholism/addiction contributes to the minimization and denial of alcohol/drug-related problems, prevents or postpones help-seeking behavior, and contributes to the social isolation of the alcoholic/addict and his or her family.

Stigma closes doors of service by rendering the alcoholic/addict less qualified for healthcare services than someone who suffers from a “real” sickness, e.g., an innocent who cannot be held morally responsible for their problems.

The disease concept has played a major role in reducing such stigma and opening the doors to treatment and recovery.

In short, calling alcoholism/addiction a disease (whether or not it actually is) saves lives.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:29 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Talana
You say you choose to drink, that is what i belived as well, all up to the day i choosed not to drink, and belive me, i really wanted to quit, but i could not do it, all the time i belived it was my choise, and i found out that i could not make that choise anymore, how many times did i told my self just to have 2 beers, and found my self totaly blasted at the end of the night, I BELIVED I HAD CHANGED MY MIND! but no, that is the "phenomenon of craving", Let say i have a allergy to strawberry, and when i eat it People around me had to rush me to the hospital becous i was chooking, and the NeXT day the same People found me With a big bowl of strawberry again, would they think my problem was strawberry??? NO, they would think i was insane..thats the mental Obsession:-) did i choose to have it that way With alcohol? hmmmm...i do not think that for one second, that is my FISRT STEP..
Old 05-30-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
...It's Time.

@ Talana, I dont personally believe its a disease either. I do think that some people are pre wired or more prone to addictions than others but at the end of the day its still free will and choice that picks up that drink or drug. Labeling it a disease I think just makes the human conscious feel a little better about it. Just my personal thoughts on this topic, not intended to offend anyone reading this.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I just think there's a difference between addiction and disease.
Maybe others think differently.