View Single Post
Old 05-31-2013, 06:06 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Grungehead
Grateful

Originally Posted by nomis View Post
The only thing I know for sure is that when I was drinking, even when I wasn't drunk, I wasn't in my right mind. I had become wrapped up in the idea that I needed alcohol to cope with life, that I needed it to be at peace and have some form of happiness. Only now since I've gotten sober, do I realize how crazy that was.

In any case, mental illness or disease, I'm not sure what the difference is, my brain wasn't working properly.

For those who are already firmly in the choice side of the argument, this is a video that I doubt you'll get far into. For those on the disease side, this is a video that will probably have your complete and total attention for the whole 70 minutes.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Hz6-2NwRzE
Well I thought I was on the fence about this debate but the video had my complete and total attention for the whole 70 minutes, so I guess that puts me on the disease side. I have relapsed twice in 23 years since I first got sober. Both times involved similar circumstances.

The first time I had stopped going to AA and I had major stress from a life crisis (me and wife separated).

The 2nd time I had stopped going to AA, and I had major stress from a life crisis (major heart surgery and complications which caused loss of job).

After watching the video it makes sense to me. AA gave me the tools to deal with major stress in my life. In both instances I stayed sober for some time after I stopped AA until a major stress factor came into my life. Both times I relapsed after staying sober for approximately 7 years. I've always thought that my inability to deal with major stress in my life played a part in my drinking and relapses. I also like how he explained how 12 step recovery helps the addicted person avoid relapse by giving them the tools to deal with stress.

I appreciate you posting the video. Whether I was pro choice or pro disease doesn't really matter, all that matters is this video really helped to confirm what I already suspected in my mind.