Old 05-31-2013, 04:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
MJ2516

Thank you so much for the honest advice and kind words. My friends and family don't really understand what I'm going through so it's comforting to know there's an outlet like this where other people can relate to my situation and offer such great support.

EnglishGarden -- you are absolutely right that I think of him as "a lost, innocent young man who is hurting". Your response really made me stop and think. I never thought that pitying him was part of the reason that I can't seem to get over him. I guess I have trouble making sense of the fact that the same sweet guy I fell in love is also a manipulative, hurtful and self-absorbed addict. But then again you're probably also right that the sweet guy I thought I fell in love with was an illusion and not based in reality.

And TakingCharge, thank you for the great reading! And virtual hugs

Whenever my ex-boyfriend would talk about the AA concept of taking it one day at a time, I would always get frustrated. I am such a planner that I can't help but try and look ahead. But in getting over this relationship, I've learned it really is best to take it one day at a time. Some days are harder than others but it's been a good day today!