Old 05-29-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
DesperadoBlond
Memberado

Looking back at myself, when I was in the end stages of my drinking, I was in such a state that no amount of threatening or lecturing would have "scared me straight". On the contrary!

The key issue, for me, was that I had no idea what "recovery" meant. Recovery from what? I thought I was doing pretty fine even though "all this horrible stuff" seemed to be happening and the common denominator was me. In my alcoholic, grandiose manner I used to tell people: I attract drama, boohoo!

I hope that the person who was brave enough to post about his troubles, in much detail, on this message forum keeps the momentum up and immerses himself in a recovery program. I really didn't understand how most of the things in AA meetings (the meetings themselves, 12 steps, Higher Power etc etc.) had anything to do with me or my drinking.

But here I am after 6 months sober and all those horrible things (legal problems, huge money problems, aggressive behavior I couldn't remember the next day) have stopped happening.

First things first. Putting down the bottle and finding a recovery program were the very first steps I had to take in order for all the bad things to stop.