Thread: Buried Alive
View Single Post
Old 05-28-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

Originally Posted by MetallicThorn View Post
I'm quite curious as to why some people perceive some of my statements as I'm Romanticizing the disease?
After that, I laid in bed and cried for an hour. It's so frustrating to know how far we got to end right back where we started. Only reason he stopped before is because his mother got him into a program and he was living with her and away from his roommate who's a bad influence on him, though I don't blame her because he's an adult. I think what hurts the most is knowing that he's longing for a better life. He'll be twenty-four in July and he wants so badly to have something going for himself. His friends have career's and families. He is so naturally smart that if he wanted he could become a doctor without much thought. I am trying to push him towards that brighter tomorrow because he WILL be GREAT.. someday. ...I just know it.

Someone recently asked, "Are you going to be able to be at peace and happy in this relationship if he never recovers?"

The honest answer that aligns with my intentions say's no. My selfish ego, wants him to be better, to be a better version of himself. That version I dream about year's from now when were thirty, have career's, live together, are talking about marriage and we both look happy. If never recovering means I can never have that then I won't be at happy.

However, at my core. My authentic self knows and understands that I wouldn't push him away either because of it. I'd love him through it all because I'd accept him as is. I'd hastily settle for his circumstance and try to over look it. What I know for sure is, we shouldn't have preconceived notions of what a partner should be, which allow's us to have endless-discoverable possibilities. His burden will become mine and I'll become blind to it and only think of it as a relationship "issue" much like everyone else has. A silent devotion between him, I and his addiction. But even here, I won't be truly happy.
This. It's romantic drivel and nonsense.

"A silent devotion between him, I and his addiction." You are buying into that Hollywood archetype of the tragically flawed, yet brilliant man, who is only understood by his true love, the woman who will save his soul, if she cannot save his life. I recognize the syndrome, because I once believed in it, too. After two marriages to alcoholics, and my own recovery from alcoholism, my romantic illusions are no more.

There is nothing beautifully sad and poignant about alcoholism. It is an ugly, ugly disease that sucks the life and beauty and potential out of the alcoholic and anyone close to him or her.

Unless and until this man is good and ready to quit for his OWN good reasons (hint: it usually requires a LOT of suffering, humiliation, degradation and desperation), he is going to get worse, and drag down anyone holding onto him.

If he's only 23, I'm betting you are under 30. You can waste years of your life chained to this relationship, or you can enjoy your youth and the possibilities life has to offer you.