View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
allforcnm

Originally Posted by mareahh View Post
I have some questions that I'd like opinions on. Thank you.

1) How long does it take for the urge to use to go away after you stop using?

I think that question is going to vary by person and will be dependent upon a lot of factors like type of drug, frequency of use, how engrained the use of drugs was in their life, what type of treatment they received, how far they distance themselves from triggers, what type of treatment they received, have they learned new coping mechanisms, recovered from past traumas where emotional issues triggered use.

2) Who is considered the "active user" and "addict in recovery"
I think a person in recovery is one who identified drug use as a problem, has stopped using, and is taking active steps to change their life so that it is no longer compatible with drug use. However, I also believe relapse is possible and it does not mean recovery efforts have failed. It only means they need to reinstitute treatment, or step up current treatment.

3) Will an active addict tell you when they using?
I think this depends on the person, the relationship, and maybe a particular instance in question. My husband told me when he was actively using, but I didnt ask him multiple times a day, or everyday for that matter.

4) If an addict in recovery promises to tell you when they have an urge, do they actually tell you?
I think this one is also variable. Sometimes there are advance warnings that lead to a craving or an urge, and sometimes (according to my husband) it can happen quickly and redirect all your thoughts – sort of like when you are eating ice cream and you get that horrible headache . When that happens for those moments all your thoughts get redirected to the pain, how long it will last. And then I think once a person is triggered, or has an urge sometimes there is shame associated with this, and individuals may not want to admit this to anyone, or they might downplay the significance even to themselves.

5) what are the chances of relapse ?
I think the chance of relapse varies also. It depends on factors like how long drug use went on, was use associated with trauma, abuse, did the person grow up in addiction and never learn coping skills, healthy behaviors, did they get treatment that helps overcome all these things, or are they gaps and remaining emotional issues, other mental health issues that are ongoing. National Institute of drug abuse says that if a person gets proper treatment that meets all of their needs, then relapse rates are consistent with any other chronic type of disease like diabetes, asthma or hypertension. They estimate 40 – 60% relapse at some point .
I think addiction happens in stages. I don’t know if your boyfriend is a true addict; but it could also be possible that he is at an early stage of addiction. Recognizing the problem early, getting proper treatment will offer the best chance of full recovery.