View Single Post
Old 05-27-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
MiSoberbio

Please do not ever forget (or minimize in any way) that he hit you multiple times and tried to pepper-spray you. If I can offer some advice, I would say to be careful not to abstract what happened in order to distance yourself from the event. Our minds often do that to allow us to continue functioning and survive in cases of trauma, but if we don't give ourselves the time to really work through the event, we typically end up raising our bar of what is acceptable behavior.

I'm making these comments because they are things that I did for years. When my therapist said to me "You're using the exact same words that my domestic abuse patients use" I brushed it off. I happen to be a man and I thought, "But I'm a GUY. I can take care of myself... that was just my partner doing 'addict' stuff"... Well, in addition to being stupidly sexist, THAT is, as well, a common response from someone who is in a situation of chronic abuse. Minimizing and justifying are part of the process of making abuse acceptable.

Anyway, protect yourself, not just now, but from now on. That doesn't mean "live in fear" -- it simply means "put your safety before everything else."