View Single Post
Old 05-19-2013, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
jefflance1

I'm a little late to the post but I too am around your age with 2 children, a wonderful wife and a great job and am 8 days sober today. In the past I have quit drinking and reintroduced only to fall back into the same habitual binging which lead me to quit in the first place. This time I have finally resolved myself to the fact I just can't drink and have to live the rest of my life without alcohol. I have had some help with my cravings from discovering I had a chemical imbalance which I was self-medicating for but the thought of a beer still creeps up on me some.

As far as motivators, I know the whole diatribe of you have to do this for yourself and no one else or it won't work but my other major motivator is my children. I grew up with an alcoholic dad that was too selfish to recognize how he was ruining my whole family's life. He would get drunk and have screaming matches with my mom and I hate him to this day for that. Although I never behaved in this fashion in front of my girls, I never want them to blame me for making their child hood miserable with something I can control. I want my girls to be proud of me as a strong man who was always there for them. I can't be completely and fully available to them unless I am sober. So, the choice is either drink or be the father to my girls which I never had. Also, the remembering how bad I felt for the first part of the day after a night of binging really drives home I don't want a drink. Good luck and I hope you make the right decisions.