Old 05-10-2013, 04:38 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Kathleen41

I've been sober only 6 mos and have felt some of these things. I have a couple thoughts. Please try to think about all, I say it with love.
First it's not possible to have thoroughly learned all the spiritual principles AA has to offer in 90 days. "Contempt prior to investigation" Stop doing that!!
Second, you seem to be taking other people's inventory, which is none of your business. You are there to get sober, and hopeful eventually help those still suffering, not discover other people's character flaws. Stop doing that!!
Thirdly, you seem to trusting some people with personal information that are untrustworthy, stop doing that!!

What should you do? Remember that this is a recover program, not your life, which you seem to get. Some of these people become addicted to addiction and recovery. I am a working professional, I have a life. That's the whole point, for me to be restored and function in my life. But I still need the meetings. I decided about 4 a week is good. I am bringing a meeting into the women's jail. It'll be a step 1-3 meeting. To keep what I've gained I have to give it away!! If I stop going to meetings, I will be susceptible to relapse.

My friends and family are still my friends and family, barring any toxic people. If I make some friends in AA, that's great, but not my goal. I have friends who love me; some of the folks at meetings don't have that anymore. AA really is all they have; so consider yourself fortunate.

Branch out and try some different groups, some with more substance. I love big book studies. I like the idea of starting your own small group, I suggest a group of women, call it a book club, do it with a few friends, and leave it off the list. Two books I recommend are "Drop the Rock," and "A women's way through the 12 steps." I get a lot out of these informal meetings.

Whatever you decide, I wish you well.