View Single Post
Old 05-09-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Leemzer

Congrats to everyone and their milestones and my thoughts and prayers for those struggling with life issues in general (special thoughts to you, Shock, and also to you, Sassy, for a speedy recovery).

Tomorrow is 7 months for me, and it has been amazing. I have realized that all of life's problems don't just "go away" with not drinking, but they were there anyway and I was just not dealing with them. I have such a cooler head and soooo much more patience with life and see so much more good around me and am capable of dealing with the difficult times in a healthy way instead of numbing myself.

Relations with my family are so much better and I realize I am being a REAL husband and dad now, not just a shell of one. Honestly, I don't know how I was blessed with a wife and kids as wonderful as I have. And I see my wife blossoming so much more now with me here in the present moment with her....to share life with her instead of just occupying the same space....

Summer is almost here and I am focusing on a lot of health-related goals that I have been working on for a while. I have lost a lot of weight and have been getting a lot of compliments lately from people I work with and don't know really well like "What have you been doing? You look so good...you look so awake....your face looks younger..." yada yada. Sometimes it is embarrassing as a guy to hear things, but I have learned to take compliments. Fact is, alcohol is POISON and I really think after a while our bodies have an amazing ability to start to bounce back. I would not give up the place I am right now for ANYTHING.

I have also gone now to NUMEROUS outings where alcohol is served and all of my close friends now know that I am not drinking. They do not ask anymore, but some are starting to notice how well I am doing and I think they are thinking of themselves, especially my male buddies who I watch sports with, hang out with, etc. They NEVER ask me to drink anymore but are starting to ask little things that maybe give me a hint they want to at least cut down. And it is odd, because when I am around I am noticing that many people are drinking less. I suspect they always did, but there is a noticeable difference too. I think they are in a way respecting me and not drinking a lot and maybe even feeling a little positive peer pressure, even though I NEVER speak of drinking unless asked. I always eat something right away when I arrive at a function, and that for me has always been the DEATH of my appetite for alcohol. And food that I was able to eat with beer like wings and pizza I eat now and it doesn't bother me.

It has been a long road, but mostly good. I have my good and bad days like everyone else, but I just deal with them better and I SLEEP so much better than I did. I feel so rested in the mornings and have such cool dreams that seem to mostly focus on positive ideas now instead of nightmares.

I will check in here and there and appreciate every one of you for being there and here for me on this ride. SR is really the only outside source of support I ever utilized, and I realize I am lucky for that. I'm just not going to let alcohol ruin my life anymore or the obsessing about it either. I....simply...don't drink anymore. And that is a good thing. And you know what? I never will......peace and love all 'round.
Lee