View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
DesertEyes

What DavidG said

Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
... I did not grow up in an abusive household, neither of my parents drank or used drugs, but they did come from abusive households themselves. ....
If there was _any_ kind of dysfunction in your "Family of Origin" then you are welcome to join us and explore what is available.

... when both of my parents were aware of what happened to them and tried to fix it.....
Perhaps they tried but were unable to complete the "fixes". Perhaps they started working on their issues _after_ some of the dysfunction had been passed on to you.

... I have never felt that the family was quite right. Things felt tense and broken at times ....
That is all it takes to plant the seeds of dysfunction in a child. How much and how deep the dysfunction is will be different for every person.

... I'm not really sure what to do about all this. The revelation was very sudden and it's a lot to take in ....
It is a lot. If you jump in the deep end it can be overwhelming. The general suggestion is to start by simply reading. We have some "sticky" posts at the top of this forum where you can start, there's tons of information available with a Google search. At some point in your research one or two issues will start to "click", which will give you a starting point for healing.

As you have questions feel free to post them here and we will toss in our .02 worth.

Welcome again.

Mike