View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 06:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
butterfly2013

Originally Posted by wanttobehealthy View Post
You sound so strong and determined and those qualities will get you far.

Something my lawyer told me is to talk about the kids (I have 2 young girls) in OUR children terms vs MY. I have the same concerns as you about my xAH's judgement and safety with our girls and I have tried my best when talking to counselors or the guardian ad lidem (court appointed and an idiot who buys xAH's talk) to present things as I feel (which is SOLELY about the girls). I do not disparage xAH or talk about the girls as mine alone. I have stated that our girls are my main concern and their safety is my main concern and that I want the girls to have time and a relationship with their dad but that for THEIR sake we need the court to set safe boundaries so we can both be sure they are safe.

What I would like to say would be more "me, my concerns, my girls etc" but my lawyer wisely told me that sounds more hostile and I want to sound as cooperative as possible while still maintaining concerns for the girls safety...
Wow, excellent advice! Thank you. This will be especially helpful in mediation because my ex accuses me of being "selfish" for limiting time with our son due to his alcoholism. Rather, I can put the focus on our child again.