View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 05:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

I was actually talking to someone about this recently. It's interesting that i never thought of it that way, but alcoholism really is a "project" (a terrible one, but nonetheless). Every day I had to get my normal stuff done while also battling a hangover, scheming for my next drink, and cleaning up whatever mess I'd caused.

Anyway, my addiction counselor was saying that many addicts/drinkers have that need for drama. She said you'll see the same personality type in professions like nursing and EMTs, etc. People who really thrive on short deadlines, life or death situations, etc.

Now, I totally do not like life or death situations. But it's true that as soon as I physically finished acute withdrawal, I immediately embarked on this yoga practice... twice a day. Which I've realized is kind of crazy (my muscles were shaking!) so I've toned it back to 5 times a week. Which means I started getting bored again, so I started a writing project.

Anyway, she expressed it as having novelty-seeking behavior. And you can find healthy outlets for that... for example, volunteering in a direct service position (like visiting the elderly, working a mental health hotline, etc), which is never the same twice. Or picking up a hobby which has results you can measure (like running, learning a foreign language, etc).

Good luck! I'm still trying to figure this out for myself, too....