View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
zoso77
Curmudgeon, Electrical Engineer, Guitar God Wannabe

Location: Where the mighty arms of Atlas hold the heavens from the Earth
I'm sorry that you're suffering so, but I'm glad you found us.

I've highlighted the following from your first post:

She is warm, beautiful, loving, intelligent, and a great wife in so many regards. But when she's high, I don't know her--not at all. It's as if a stranger is occupied my wife's body, mind, and thoughts.

And when she comes down, no memory. Or denial, may be the case. For when her anger serves her to gain what argument she intends to win, it doesn't matter what I say, or do. The excuse she uses is selective in her memory, as long as the episode serves her needs, not mine.
Whether you're fully aware of this or not, she's practicing a form of psychological abuse on you called "gaslighting", where she's making you question your own sanity by denying all the things she does while under the influence. So a "warm, beautiful, loving" wife would not do such a thing.

As a person of faith myself, I came to understand and appreciate that when it came to dealing with my AGF at the time, the only one that could help her was God. And I also came to appreciate that what we may want for ourselves may be different than what God has in mind for us. Your wife has chosen a path where you can't go because there's no room for you. There's only room for her and the drugs.

So, what do you do now? If you're a person of faith, you give your wife over to God, and you turn your own will over to God by accepting you're powerless over her addiction and asking Him to restore you to sanity. You may have to do things you don't want to do.

But having said that, and having lived through the horror of someone's addiction, I can tell you straight up there are worse things than sleeping alone, and that's sleeping with someone in active addiction or someone abstaining from drugs but not in recovery. I can tell you straight up that when my relationship with my AGF was over, I wanted to throw my bed out and get a new one. But instead, I took my bed back and banished her presence from my bedroom.

I encourage you to read as many of the posts as you can here. I encourage you to keep an open, honest mind. What you're going through is insanely difficult to bear, but others have been down the same path and have come out the other side.

Welcome to the Board.

ZoSo