Thread: Need advice
View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 07:32 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PaddyMan

Need advice

Hi, I've been around the forums for a little bit and finally decided to jump in. I know I have a drinking problem, from my Irish roots, I drink almost every night..or should I say I don't have a drink on very few nights. I work away from home mostly, I have to stay in bed and breakfasts during the week. When I finish work, I go to my room get changed and head out to the town or village. I usually get something to eat in the local pub, normally the only place around, then I will start drinking. My normal session would be 6 or 7 pints, but that can go over 10. When I go home at the weekends, I normally go out for a few pints with a couple of mates while we watch the match... but sometimes this can get to being 15 or 20.
I am married with two kids. My eldest has just turned 14. The other day he turned around to me, out of the blue, and said that he was sick of me getting drunk all the time, that I never spent any time with him... I don't know what to say. I feel devastated! I've thought about this before, but mosly I hide it away in some dark recess and don't listen. The worse part is that I just feel like drowning my sorrows... what a poor ******* I am!
I can see the tears in his eyes, the hurt in his face, and the bravery that it took for him to confront me. Like I say, I feel completely shellshocked...
Are there any other fathers out there with similar experiences?