View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 05:26 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
newme2013

I can definitely identify with your situation. I started dating a man who was a problem drinker when I was in my 20's. He also was a really great guy when sober and a really awful person when drunk. I stayed around for those great times and with the hope that someday he would get sober. He recognized he had a problem and talked about how much he wanted to get sober often. There were some attempts at sobriety but nothing serious and nothing that worked for long. He told me he didn't feel the need to drink when we spent time together and I naively thought that I could make him want to quit. It's now 11 years later. We are in the middle of a very ugly divorce. Divorce is horrible for everyone but it is a nightmare when you have to deal with an irrational drunk. I'm now in my 30's but sometimes I feel 60 because life with him has been so difficult. I have felt like I had to be his mother more often than a wife. Every aspect of my life has suffered as a result of me hanging on for years thinking things were going to get better and he was going to be that great sober man all the time. We did have great times together but they don't make up for all the terrible things I have experienced as a result of being married to an alcoholic. And when things get bad, they get really bad very quickly. Seven months ago I would have said our marriage was the best it has ever been. He was seeking treatment and the drinking was down to only about once a week. We were buying a house. We were getting along great. Everything seemed wonderful. Within a few months he dropped out of the treatment, started drinking 7 days a week, adamantly denied having any kind of drinking problem, cleared out our bank accounts to fund an affair, and abused me so badly that I had to take out a restraining order. I haven't see any of that great man in awhile and probably never will again. Don't waste your youth on this guy. He may get sober someday but it will have nothing to do with you. And you can reconnect in the future if he proves he is committed to sobriety. Don't give up your life for him.