Thread: So lost
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Odelle

Kaitlyn, please don’t take her behavior personally; I really believe that she is avoiding you because she is ashamed of herself. She’s probably not ready to quit drinking and it’s easier for her to isolate than to face the concern and well-meaning advice of loved ones. Any time she has lashed out at you, please know that it has nothing to do with you; people that withhold and hide their true feelings about themselves (guilt, shame, inadequacies and regrets) tend to project those feelings upon others. This is especially true of alcoholics as their cognitive abilities decline when inebriated and the feelings of rage that have been building inside are lashed out upon innocent bystanders.

You have done well to have escaped the addictions that have torn your family apart. I strongly urge you to find an Al Anon meeting to go to. Much of what you have dealt with will affect you in some way. Having a support group where people understand and relate to what you are experiencing will allow you to release the stress of the pent up anger and free yourself to find the peace and happiness in life that you deserve.

I am sorry that you have had to deal with this and I hope that you will find support and counseling to help you work through the trauma of living in a dysfunctional home. Sending you a hug of hope and a prayer for your peace and happiness.