View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SolTraveler

((Michelle)) I am so sorry that your situation is like this. A lot of us on this board can identify.

It is great that you are not living together - it doesn't sound like you are thinking about doing so, but take my advice and DON'T. Especially is he if abusive. You need to be able to get out of the situation and be away from him.

As for marriage... I think you know the answer there too. I have an ABF who I love to bits as well, but we are definitely not getting married until he has been in recovery for awhile. I would love to marry the person he is when he is sober, but until he is that person ALL of the time, no dice.

My advice is to get to an Al-Anon meeting. You can't control him, and you can't change him. As much as you love him, love is never enough to make an alcoholic quit. I should know - I was a binge drinker too and I just got sober a year ago. I could have rationalized ANYTHING to keep drinking!

Please keep coming back here. Unfortunately, most alcoholics only get worse, and you need support.

Alex