View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Odelle

Congratulations on 3 months ArticSA!

I am a couple days behind you (February 5) and I am going through a lot of the self-examination that you are. Frankly, I am so glad that I didn’t get into Facebook because I know I would be left with many of the reminders of my drunken episodes that you are facing. If you are not comfortable with stepping away from the social network, maybe posting a message reflecting back on previous posts and admitting embarrassment over many of the comments posted in the past? Rather than announcing the posts were made while under the influence, stating that you have embraced a new healthy lifestyle that does not include alcohol and it has increased your awareness of the negative impact unhealthy choices has made on your cognitive perceptions and abilities. What you thought were clever and fun-filled remarks at the time are now quite embarrassing and are not reflective of the genuine person you truly are. Just a thought.

I too thought that I could never comfortably adjust to life without an occasional drink (drunk!), but the further I get away from that life, the happier I am that I am no longer chained to that addiction. I averaged 7 bottles of wine per week (minimum) for many years, so over the past 3 months that equates to removing at least 90 bottles of alcohol or 450 glasses of wine, poisoning my mind and drowning my spirit. Imagine all of the glasses or bottles of alcohol you would have consumed had you not stopped, and know that just one drink can take you back to that MADNESS! The longer we stay sober, the number of alcohol units not entering our bodies steadily increases concurrently with our sobriety days. For me, this is another tool to shut down that AV!