View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:19 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Marcher13

Snags, we are always going to be around people who drink, that's a given.

I've found myself in the bottle shop twice in the last fortnight, once to pick up a gift for someone else and the second time to pick up the sherry for dear old mum's evening tipple. I kind of goaded myself to see if I was going to be tempted but the love affair is over. Finally Dee's advice worked itself into my brain, drinking is not an option for me, I don't drink and I will never drink again. That's it. I'm not going backwards and forwards with it, I'm not debating whether I can just have one or two (I know I can't) and I'm just not having the hassle anymore. The health and energy I have now are not worth giving up for a drink. If I drink I will have a headache, feel thirsty, maybe throw up, not want to get up, feel sleepy in the afternoon etc etc. It's one OR the other, I can't have both.

For me it wasn't just about taking away the booze but also about putting other nice things up. The famous chinotto, herbal tea, great ice-cream, superb chocolate -- all at a fraction of the cost of the wine before.

I think the place you need to get to is the one where you ask yourself perfectly honestly what you want. Nobody makes us drink except ourselves. Unless we put our hands out, fill the glass, pick it up and pour its contents down our throats we don't drink. Look down at your hands and think about what you want them to do.

Hugs