View Single Post
Old 05-02-2013, 05:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Pete55

I agree with Anna on the Alanon part, it's about another person's issues and how they deal with it.

I don't think there is reason to expose details of a person via a web page, anonymity is sort of foundational.

Spiritual changes, the word "spiritual" often gets clogged up with things it's not.
Even if you Google the word, "Definition:spiritual", all these ads prop up with 1800 numbers and fortune tellers.
It's not that.
I traced the ancient origins of the word for a true definition, it went way way back to the ancient Greeks, it means "mind" and how we think.
So yes, a "spiritual conversion" may come in many different forms.
In simple layperson lingo, it can be termed as, " when the penny dropped" or that "Ah huh I get it now"...
For some it's instantaneous, others it's progressive.

And yes, once and alcoholic, always an alcoholic that is why I don't drink, I'm alcoholic, I eventually "got it".
In fact, I actually "respect" alcohol as a substance in it's pure form. I have to respect the fact it is poison for me.
That was a "spiritual experience", I changed the way I thought of alcohol, as if it's a poison if I drink it, it does me no favors, never has and never will.
The other thing, what about living and family invites etc etc where they serve alcohol and they don't know I am alcoholic.
I simply say, "no thanks, not today, water will be fine"....it's a brilliant exit, works every time. No need to explain anything.