Old 04-30-2013, 08:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
773niki

Fairly newly sober, 1st out of town trip - HELP!

Hey everyone!

Wow, I can't believe that I logged onto this site in August - probably for the 10th time - swearing I was going to quit, but having tremendous trouble. Then, in October - on the 27th exactly, I took my last drink. I am now a few days over 6 months sober! Holy crap, I can't believe the difference in my life.

I got laid off/let go from my last job - an indirect result of drinking. I went to 90 meetings of AA in 90 days. Hit 90 and felt great. Built a foundation. got a sponsor and just celebrated 180 days!

HOWEVER, I just got a new job - a TREMENDOUS opportunity. I start on Monday and for the first week, I will be in NYC for training, meeting associates, etc. I live in Chicago, so NYC is so new to me. I'll be staying in a hotel by myself...will have to do dinners/lunches.

Does anyone have any advice for me as I travel out of my comfort zone?

In my previous "life" - I would drink. I would never, ever turn down a drink. Are people going to think I'm weird if I don't drink? Will colleagues pressure me? What do you order to drink? I'm so nervous about this! Some people said to say I'm on a medication that doesn't allow me to drink. Should I say that? I just know I do NOT and I refuse to take a sip of booze. No one will know but me and I so don't want to give into that after 6 months of HARD WORK! Can someone lend any advice?