Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
marker853

Is alcohol withdrawal worse after relapses?

Just for some context to how much I have been drinking. So I have been drinking heavily for about 4 years. First it started with drinking on weekends, Friday and Saturday evenings, about 5 drinks max and at least 5 drinks during one of the weekdays. Sometimes I would have a couple drinking days during the weekday.

Then I would gradually get to the point where I was drinking weekends and every other day, max 5 drinks. Sometimes more, but I would never exceed 6 or 7 drinks. Then at one point I was drinking everyday for about a month in 2011. It was then when I was experiencing a bit of shakiness and anxiety the following day. Then I cut back down to just weekends and a couple days during the week. I don't even know that last time I went a week without drinking, probably 2010 or something.

Since then It seems as if though drinking is becoming tougher on me in terms of the next day. I feel more depressed, anxious, Worrying about little things, on a few occasions i had panic attacks usually from going few drinking days in a row, emotionally dull, more grumpy, sometimes fatigue, more irritable, mood swings, foggy memory, sometimes difficulty thinking clearly. I have been researching what prolonged alcohol use does to your health, So for the last few months I have been thinking of taking a break.

Well the past month I have been drinking everyday about 6-7 drinks only in the evening, never during the day. And I think it was time to stop. So I did. I was a bit worried about withdrawal symptoms. So I was keeping an eye out for that.

I recently went 5 full days without one drop. The symptoms I felt were difficulty sleeping for about 3 days. Unable to fall asleep only falling asleep hours later, then waking up 5 times every hour. I had really weird dreams, cold sweats on a couple occasions, I felt cravings during the evening and a little headache during the days I was sober. I never have headaches, so I am sure it was due to alcohol withdrawal. Other then that, I was surprised because I thought it would be worse. Then on the fifth night I decided to drink again, then drank a few days in a row after that. I am now on my second day without alcohol, I feel worse then last time I stopped for 5 days.

I read that if you try to quit after relapsing, the withdrawal symptoms will become worse. My question is if I start drinking sometime in the future then quit again for 5 days, will my withdrawal symptoms be worse? Its been only the second day yet I feel more sensitive, and become more anxious easily, and feel like crap.