Notices

Is alcohol withdrawal worse after relapses?

Old 04-25-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just for some context to how much I have been drinking. So I have been drinking heavily for about 4 years. First it started with drinking on weekends, Friday and Saturday evenings, about 5 drinks max and at least 5 drinks during one of the weekdays. Sometimes I would have a couple drinking days during the weekday.

Then I would gradually get to the point where I was drinking weekends and every other day, max 5 drinks. Sometimes more, but I would never exceed 6 or 7 drinks. Then at one point I was drinking everyday for about a month in 2011. It was then when I was experiencing a bit of shakiness and anxiety the following day. Then I cut back down to just weekends and a couple days during the week. I don't even know that last time I went a week without drinking, probably 2010 or something.

Since then It seems as if though drinking is becoming tougher on me in terms of the next day. I feel more depressed, anxious, Worrying about little things, on a few occasions i had panic attacks usually from going few drinking days in a row, emotionally dull, more grumpy, sometimes fatigue, more irritable, mood swings, foggy memory, sometimes difficulty thinking clearly. I have been researching what prolonged alcohol use does to your health, So for the last few months I have been thinking of taking a break.

Well the past month I have been drinking everyday about 6-7 drinks only in the evening, never during the day. And I think it was time to stop. So I did. I was a bit worried about withdrawal symptoms. So I was keeping an eye out for that.

I recently went 5 full days without one drop. The symptoms I felt were difficulty sleeping for about 3 days. Unable to fall asleep only falling asleep hours later, then waking up 5 times every hour. I had really weird dreams, cold sweats on a couple occasions, I felt cravings during the evening and a little headache during the days I was sober. I never have headaches, so I am sure it was due to alcohol withdrawal. Other then that, I was surprised because I thought it would be worse. Then on the fifth night I decided to drink again, then drank a few days in a row after that. I am now on my second day without alcohol, I feel worse then last time I stopped for 5 days.

I read that if you try to quit after relapsing, the withdrawal symptoms will become worse. My question is if I start drinking sometime in the future then quit again for 5 days, will my withdrawal symptoms be worse? Its been only the second day yet I feel more sensitive, and become more anxious easily, and feel like crap.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to sober recovery.

In a word, yes.

It's easily remedied--quit and don't relapse.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't know if what you say is true but when I first quit I hardly had any withdrawals for a week and a half. At that point I decided to have a six pack. That night and the next day I had one of the worst hangovers in my life and I would never get a hangover from just a six pack. My routine was binge drinking 18-24 beers 3-4 nights a week. I think the body becomes very sensitive after you quit for a little while.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hell to the yes!!!

At first I thought it was in my head, but then I read about it on the internet. Google kindling.
Old 04-25-2013, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, the answer is absolutely. If I drink now, I get to the point where I need to be detoxed medically. Even after 4-7 days of that, I know I'm in for weeks of shaking, sweating, insomnia and a host of other problems. And it got worse and worse to get to that point. There is no doubt in my mind that it would be even worse if there was to be a next time. I don't intend for there to be a next time.