Thread: Trust?
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
awuh1
Sober Alcoholic

Originally Posted by UnixBer View Post
for some reason, I have been too nice and kind all my life, therefore also giving the forbidden advantage to these people.

Succumbing to hatred is not the choice I want to take, but sometimes the actual reality really makes me angry, desiring to do something evil.
I have come to understand that trust involves expectations. It's about my an expectations of how another person will behave in the future. I might have a "good" reason for that expectation, and it may be a "reasonable", but it is nevertheless an expectation, and that expectation has been generated by me.

When expectations have been violated I find it necessary to look quite closely at how my expectations were constructed. Sometimes my expectations for someone were somewhat unrealistic. Sometimes not. In both cases however, some sort of change in my behavior is warented. Sometimes that might be to put distance between myself and the person violating my "reasonable" expectations so as to avoid more of the same in the future. Sometimes it could be as simple as not extending the same amount of trust to that individual. Sometimes things even resolve themselves if I find out more details about the circomstances.

Regardless of the case, neither I nor the world will be a better off if I seek to even the score. The only thing that will be better as a result of my retaliation will be how I feel, ...temporarily, but I'm done living life with "feeling good" as the central driving principle.