Thread: Pray for me.
View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Michael66
Recovering

Hi DP

When it comes to stigma - friends and family may already have some idea of how much you drink, though if you are anything like me some of that drinking may be hidden to varying degrees of success. When I stayed with my parents I would go and get a "coke" but found I could make it up with half coke and half white wine and it still looked pretty much like coke. My idea of a cocktail was how I could best hide disguise and hide alcohol. Anyway, my personal experience is far from experiencing stigma, there is a real appreciation of how I have tackled my drinking by embracing total abstinence. Close family were please and relieved. As for friends I simply tell them I was drinking too much (they don't all have to know exactly how much too much) and how I feel much better not ever drinking. If you do come across anyone who laughs (and personally I haven't) then I bet there is a fair chance they are drinking too heavily themselves and laughing at someone tackling the same issue may be part of their denial mechanisms. Maybe in time it is the one who laughs that may come and ask you for advice. But to begin with I would assume the best in people, while perhaps realising the heaviest drinkers may have the most difficulty with seeing your example of recognising your problem.

God bless +