View Single Post
Old 04-19-2013, 11:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dib42

Originally Posted by Mizzuno View Post
I think that sobriety frightens others. Some people do not know how to respond to it. I have chosen to not talk about it ( except on here) because I do not like what people say to me about my choice in sobriety. My choice to not drink is my business. A family member told me once that she knew i was going to drink again. A) I dont need to hear that crap B) I will now keep my distance. I dont need to explain myself to anyone.
There is a lot of negative views about recovery and programs. People do not understand and so they form opinions on things without really knowing the positives. Maybe they met a person who was acting all Holier than everyone else and it put a bad taste in their mouth. I choose to remain anonymous even though I do not have a solid AA program. I pick from here and there, and it seems to be working. I just say "I dont drink"
I dont know your situation other than what you have explained. I am sorry that you are going through this. I will read anything positive from you any day. Keep up the good work Stash!
Actually I've met several "holier than thow, born again non-drinkers, and born again non smokers." and it kept me from seeking out help for sobriety for a long time. I was afraid I'd turn into one of them. The type that assume anyone who drinks either is or will become an alcoholic. The type that feel their opinion is more valid than anyone elses because they're recovered. And my personal least favorite, the type that would discredit anything you said after having one beer, because "you've been drinking" therefor you have nothing valid to say.

So its very possible they're afraid you're turning into that person and they are lashing out to try to keep you in that realm of what they're comfortable with.

Its tough to say. I keep my sobriety moderatly private. I've only recently logged on to SR not using the private setting on my browser. Now I don't care if its in my history. Mostly because there is no reason to preach about it anyone other than here. If someone offers me a beer, I decline it, if they ask why, I tell them I'm not in the mood to drink. If they push beyond that, I'll tell them "if I drink that one, I'll want more, and then I'll be up all night drinking, and i've got more important things to do."
If someone offers me a drink, the one thing I don't do, is go on a diatribe about how I'm a recovering alcoholic etc etc etc. They don't care, and I don't care to tell them, and it only leads to an uncomfortable situation where they're wondering if its OK to drink around me, etc... eh, I'm just not in to that. Also I've recently decided that I might start drinking again when I turn 90, so I haven't really quit, I'm just holding off until I can celebrate my 90th birthay, or maybe I'll make it an even 100. Sort of a centenial celebration.